Francis Yaw Kafui Adzraku
Deputy Director and Programmes Manager
My Job at the Don Bosco Child Protection Centre
I work to design specific projects and scope rehabilitation, re-integration processes for children at risk. I further coordinate the general projects and Stakeholder management. While assisting in staff recruitments and supervision, I also engage in Fundraising and resource management. Above all I coordinate staff training and capacity enhancement (orientations, in- service training both internal and external) of the staff of the Shelter.
I have always been highly interested in working to promote the welfare and growth of children. This is evident through some major activities I have accomplished in the past years of my career:
1. Salesians, Anglo-phone West Africa Province – Accra (Ghana, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Liberia) – Don Bosco Youth Ministry: September 2008 - September 2012. Coordinator
- Coordinated the planning, organization, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of multiple projects in West Africa.
- Initiated and developed resources for youth leadership capacity building.
- Mobilized funds for various projects by Salesians of Don Bosco in West Africa.
- Initiated and completed building of a multi-purpose audio-video studio at the headquarters in Tema.
- Trained and coordinated workers including volunteers from Poland to undertake an action reseach on the impact of the work of Salesians on youth activities in West Africa.
- Initiated and delivered various training workshops and seminars at local, national and international levels within the West Africa Subregion of the Salesians work.
- Collaborated in setting up an effective Voluntary Counseling and Confidential Testing Centre in Akure – Nigeria.
- Led and managed the organisational change process of the West Africa Province.
- Designed and formed inter-departmental management team at the provincial house in Tema.
- Handled inter-departmental monthly project harmonisation meetings for the Province.
2. Government Accountability Improves Trust II (Project) Accra, Ghana :October 2004 – February 2007 - Community Facilitator
- Collaborated planned and facilitated capacity building for staff of 15 selected District Assemblies in Ghana.
- Mobilized Civic Society Organizations to support quality education in South Tongu Districts of Volta Region of Ghana.
- Mobilized and planned with Parent Teacher Associations of 28 selected communities each in 5 Districts of Ghana to take up process of whole school development and basic health delivery for their children.
Why Child Protection
I came into close contact with Juvenile Police Prosecutors from Ghana Police Service in a workshop in 2008. One of the most lives touching experience that most of them shared mentioned the plight of child victims at their various stations. I was so disgusted that I decided and resolved to work to protect vulnerable children in Ghana hence the concept of provision of shelter for children at risk.
- Team formation, community service, counselling & conflict resolution.
- Leadership development and Training
- Public Speaking.
- Environmental and Business sustainability.
- Strong project management skills to manage multiple projects.
- Collaborative; ability to develop partnerships in a complex, fast paced global multicultural environment and across diverse stakeholder groups.
- Self motivated, dynamic and a self starter.
- Excellent Leading and Influencing skills.
- Ability to control processes and activities in a result-oriented manner.
- Teamwork and management skills Good negotiation and contract management skills.
- Good Networking skills - able to use networks to obtain information and build partnerships.
- Strives to achieve high quality results with a persistently positive outlook in the face of challenges.
What I have learnt
Indeed it is very challenging to work for children; however, it is really practical work which does not involve too many theories.
What motivates me?
The area of focus of the work I do bring real solution to real and current societal challenges. I am motivated to work harder and better because the results are indeed measurable.