Salesians of Don Bosco
The Salesians of Don Bosco, Anglophone West Africa is an international congregation in the Catholic Church spread in more than 130 countries of the world working for the education, development and empowerment of the young people and youth at risk. The Anglophone West Africa (AFW) Province of the Salesians of Don Bosco comprises of Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia and Sierra Leone, and was created in 2004 to pursue various developmental Projects towards the development of youth. This mission fully coincides with the goals of the international cooperation for development.
Salesians in Ghana
The first team of Salesians arrived in Ghana in 1992 and was based in Odumase, a suburb of Sunyani, in the Brong Ahafo Region. Their aim was to help offer better conditions of education and good social life to the people of Odumase as well as its surroindings villages like Sereso, Teacherkom, Tanoso, Bokokrom and Abronye.
In Accra, the Salesians of Don Bosco arrived on the 25th of March 1996 and were offered a land at Ashaiman by the Archbishop of Accra. The choice of Ashaiman was due to the fact that, it was a placer where many youngsters were homeless, being exploited and getting involved in many social vices. Therefore, in response to this, the Salesians built a three-storey building to provide shelter for the homeless, healthcare, social assistance, food, and most importantly to prepare the youngsters to be enrolled into the normal formal education.
Our vision is to use the rich cultural and traditional values of West Africa to enhance, through the principles of faith as lived by Don Bosco, the integral transformation of children and young people who are victims of ethnic and religious conflicts, widespread poverty and abuse of human rights.
Our mission is to educate, train, form, inspire and empower young people towards human, social and spiritual growth in line with the goals of the International Cooperation of Development.
Aims and Objectives
- To educate young people to become value based and productive citizens for development of West Africa.
- To promote quality education by enabling promising young men and woment to became self-reliant.
- To provide youth with techinal training and economic support to promote self-employment.
- To work for social and human development of youth into the worldwide movement against poverty.
- To professionalise our human development work, meeting the needs of deprived youth in the adequate way and at the lowest cost.
- To improve sustainable development and human promotion projects, which is the fundamental principle of Salesians of Don Bosco.
Our core values are:
- Mutual respect for each other.
- Accountability and collective responsability.
- Respect for the rights of the light.